How to start my first blog
When you found my blog, you were thinking about creating your own, am I right? Let me help you with that. I would like to motivate you to start as soon as possible; I will show you what are the benefits of running your blog.
If you are trying to convince yourself that you are not an SME (Subject Matter Expert), stop lying to yourself. I am not one of them, and I am running my own, many bloggers were starting with nothing but good intentions, idea or by accident. They wanted to share with something that was interesting for them. Bum! Huge success. Why not you? Believe in yourself!
You shouldn’t be afraid how complicated creating a blog or website is. Currently, you don’t need to know any programming languages. You can do everything in a matter of few clicks. When you are going to understand the basics, the only limit is your imagination.
Before you start creating a blog and not abandon this idea after few weeks, you HAVE TO be motivated and stay on track. Think which of below reasons suits you most (can be more than one):
- Being yourself – writing a blog where you can fully express yourself and talk with other people about your thoughts. If you are shy and don’t have anyone to talk to, it is a perfect place to do it. Do you know this feeling when you are at some party, saying nothing, sitting alone, “being weird”, but when you are at home again you could talk people to death?
- New contacts – your readers, other bloggers. You have no idea how many amazing people you can find out there.
- Helping others – when you want to create a blog which is going to be kind of a guideline to follow – it means that you wish to share your knowledge. Imagine that people are saying “thank you” after you explain them something easy for you. You like this feeling, don’t you?
- Personal growth – you can learn by writing new articles, it means that you need to read about it Second thing – you can learn from your visitor’s comments. Not only knowledge here is important, but the systematic approach, creativity, marketing skills. You acquire new knowledge every day.
- Personal pleasure – you like to write and want to share it? Do what you love.
- Last, but not least – money. You can’t expect significant online income from your blog in next few weeks. You need to build your brand first, and it requires time. You should know that money can’t be first. Why? Your future readers are not stupid; they will leave as soon as possible when they see that cash is your only priority.
Topic of a blog
Now you should think what you like. Why? Because you are going to write about it for probably next few years. Give yourself few days to figure it out. Create a list of things you love and hate to write about to have an idea what can be a good or wrong. It is important to choose smart because you can lose enthusiasm pretty quickly.
I will write the whole new post about choosing a niche, on what things and steps you should focus. It’s good to find a subject that not many people are writing about, but there is a demand for it.
- Do you have few other blogs you are regularly reading or from time to time? Yes? Great. No? Try to find something that is interesting. Do you have it now? Awesome. Let’s continue. Be aware! What does it mean? When you read about something, look how the author created it. What graphics do they use? How they split they posts. What kind of words they use. Note everything you like and what could work for you. Think what can be improved and how. The more you write later on, the easier to get your style. Write a blog which you would like to read!
- Before you start with writing new content decide what kind of topics you want to raise – make a list. You know this – “the more, the better,” right? It works here pretty good. Why? As someone new in this field probably you have dozens of ideas. When you get to the point of blackout, just take the list and use it. Remember: Never publish the newly written text. Sleep with it first, read it again, fix and add new thoughts. Don’t post anything you don’t like and feel – it’s easy to lose the trust of your readers.
- Think if you want to be anonymous or want to sign it under your name. I decided to get better contact with my readers, so that’s why you know my name and face. You can start however you want and change your mind in the process. Just remember that after “kiss and tell” it will be hard to hide again.
- Name of the blog – it should be catchy, easy to remember, simple to write in your browser. Try not to change it at all or very often – why? – Because your readers will remember the first/current name, you are using. Don’t make it hard for them.
- Choose the platform. Currently, the best price-quality has WordPress + Bluehost. I will write more about it in my next post.
- Don’t over react with production set-up. Of course, everything here is crucial, but you should not wait months to do it. It took me 2-3 weeks to made a decision, find a first (I hope will have more in future) niche to write about and here we are. You don’t have to start with everything being ready. You can add tags, social media, about page in later stage – in next few weeks. Calm down, no hurry.
- Be smart. What I mean don’t lose all your fervor at the beginning. When you start you will be excited to do everything RIGHT NOW. Don’t. Don’t write posts every day, do it when you think it is fine for your lifestyle. I’ve seen many (even my friend did like that) people who started to run their blog. Posting 3-5 times a week, after few months, they were done. Small resurrection after some time, two, maybe three posts and the whole thing disappeared. Establish how often you want to create new Once or max twice a week is perfect. You have time to write new text; readers are happy because everything is on time and regular basis.
- Promote your blog – how? I am going to write about it in one of my next posts.
- Don’t be selfish. You are writing the content for your readers. Listen to them in comments, private messages, put them on the stage, highlight. You are doing it for them. Love them and they will love you.
- Be patient. You are not going to build the brand in one week or after one post. It needs time. At this moment, most people fail. They want to see results NOW, right now. That’s why they will never succeed. Read the story of some billionaires; it took them years to go bigger and bigger. Why? Because they didn’t turned back from their idea after first failures.
- Just live as blogging isn’t a job, it’s a lifestyle.
If I missed something, please let me know. Will try to write about it in my next posts.
Do you have a subject I should write about?
To Do List
Answer the question: ” Do you want to start something new that can be interesting every day?”
If you say yes, read my review of Wealthy Affiliate – the program that helped me to create this blog.